Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Injection Night One-Complete!

Well...we made it through the first night of two injections!  My husband, David, and I both had a busy and long day at work.  He actually beat me home for once and had dinner ready for me!  I got home around 8:30 pm and we had dinner quickly and caught up on our days and then started prepping our drug lab!  I had to do two shots tonight and will continue this for the next three nights.  David was the mad scientist (I think he secretly enjoyed this) and handled the mixing of diluent and powder to create the injections.  The first shot was the Gonal-F, which provides the hormone  follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) that helps cause the ovaries to produce eggs (we need lots and lots of eggs)!!  We made sure to take our time reading the instructions because we really didn't want to mess this up.  David went to inject the needle into my abdomen and it didn't want to penetrate the skin...OUCH!  I started crying at that point and David was pretty upset too.  After a quick pep talk for both of us, he just had to "jab" the needle into my stomach really quickly with force...he did not like this part at all.

The second injection was of Menopur, which provides FSH and lutenizing hormone (LH) that help healthy ovaries to make eggs.  Menopur is a preparation of gonadotropins extracted from the urine of postmenopausal women (umm...ok?!), which has undergone additional steps for purification...THIS is something I really don't think I needed to know!!!! LOL!  I've read a lot about this medicine really burning when injected for many patients.  For me tonight, it actually didn't burn as bad as I was expecting...maybe I was just traumatized from the dull needle from the first shot?!  We will see how the next few nights go.  I have confirmed that I could not be a nurse or a scientist! HAHA!!  I just kept saying, "it's for our baby"!!  Right now, my stomach is just a little red in the injection spots...one night down, lots more to go...

Here are a few pictures from our exciting night of shots! 

 








 xo, Jessica

1 comment:

  1. Hope you are doing fine now. Best wishes for you and your family. Even I'm so afraid of these types of shots, they really give me goosebumps

    ReplyDelete