Monday, July 31, 2017

American Greetings: Not Alone

This video quickly put me back on the emotional roller coaster of infertility and my journey to motherhood. While I am overwhelmed with gratitude to be a mom to my precious son Thomas, my fertility struggle has forever changed me. The pain doesn’t fade away, when a perfect bundle of baby is placed in your arms. I have my gift, my child, but my heart has scars which remind me of the journey to parenthood. The memories of the longest 3 minutes of my life, waiting for the results of a pregnancy test filled with both fear and hope in my heart…and month after month, seeing negative results; the pull on my heart with every passing baby bump; the thought to never use social media again, because every day someone announced a new pregnancy or birth; the forced smiles when asked “when are you going to give your parents a grandchild?,” when you really want to weep (or practice your right hook!); the buckets of tears cried for the children your heart desires, the child you’ve lost and the days and years passing without a sweet child making your house noisy and calling for “mommy."
The journey is different for each woman. For me, the journey consisted of countless Doctor appointments, medicines, hundreds of injections given by me or my husband, egg retrievals, embryo growth, embryo transfers, staggering financial costs, emotional turmoil and stress. Even still, my journey has made me a stronger person, a more compassionate individual and has drawn me closer to God.
If you are currently craving to become a parent, I want you to know, you are not alone. One of the hardest aspects of trying to conceive and experiencing infertility are the feelings of loneliness and isolation. My heart has been touched over the past years by the love and encouragement from family, close friends and my TTC (Trying to Conceive) sisters. Please never underestimate the value of a kind, encouraging word. It can be the difference to encourage someone to be filled with hope and joy, instead of despair and bitterness. The road of infertility is depressing, challenging, even maddening, but with the smallest gesture you can show someone suffering they are not alone.
Statistics show one is eight couples are battling infertility. Someone in your life is struggling (probably privately) to become a parent. These individuals are not looking for your advice (unless they ask), or to hear “you have plenty of time,” “you are still young,” “enjoy your time and sleep before kids,” etc. However, it would mean so much to have someone just show up or send a card to let them know they are not alone.
Not alone…is having your husband give you a Mother’s Day card honoring your role as a mother to the baby lost and the embryos created through IVF. Not alone…is having your sisters travel from other states to hug you, sit with you and just BE THERE when you miscarried. Not alone…is having your friend send you cupcakes and a card when you are having a dark day. Not alone…is receiving a note telling you that you are strong and beautiful, when you feel you and your body are a failure. Not alone…is sending a card to a friend to brighten their day and telling them they are loved. I am immensely blessed with a family that SHOWS UP. Take time to show up for someone today.
#givemeaning #partner
www.americangreetings.com/givemeaning

No comments:

Post a Comment